UNIVERSITI TEKNOLOGY MARA
ACADEMY OF LANGUAGE STUDIES
FOR SPECIFIC PURPOSES
ENGLISH FOR SPECIFIC PURPOSES
(PUBLIC SPEAKING/ ORAL PRESENTATIONS)
Lecturer: Associate Professor Dr. Othman Ismail
Lesson 1 :
12th. April 2008 (Saturday)
Basic Principles of Speech communication
· Course Introduction
· Ice Breaking
· Needs Analysis on Oral Communication
· Public Speaking Course and its Value
· Elements of Speech Communication
· Avoiding Stage Fright and Nervousness
• Discuss the Course Outline and what is expected to be done and achieved by the end of the program.
• Each participant is required to introduce his or her partner to the class. Information of the partner’s personal interests, choices of entertainment, social work preferences and other matters can be introduced - Refer EXERCISE 1. (1 to 2 minutes each)
Activities Comments and Feedbacks
Each student presented the exercise above and their presentation was captured using a video camera.
Comments were given on each student's performance after the presentation.
- develop eye contact with the audience
- avoid reading from your notes
- avoid the use of non-vocalized pauses. Eg: ahhh..., emm ..., aaaa...
- be careful with non-verbal gesture. The use of our hands and the way we stand.
- avoid long pauses in between ideas.
- take your time to deliver the speech. Don't ruch, yet, don't go to slow.
- keep to the time given
- work on the language:
This page is maintained by Associate Prof. Dr. Othman Ismail : Since April 2008